Clinton, don’t ask don’t tell

When I first read that after Clinton lost his campaign for re-election as governor of Arkansas he became involved in the Southern Baptists church, I thought to myself “wow that is a genius move!” I mean think about it, being a democrat its would hard for Clinton to get the religious vote, as conservative christians are much more likely to vote for a republican. But by being a devote church going, choir singing baptist, Clinton had a much better chance of picking up some extra votes! So what would go wrong? Nothing, right? Well he did get the votes he wanted, but it went down hill from there. Clinton started his presidency tackling some of the conservative Christians favorite topics, gay rights and abortion. Unfortunately for the SBC, Clinton didn’t exactly run with their interpretation of scripture. In fact, he basically did the opposite of what the SBC excepted him to. He campaigned to let gays serve openly in the military. As I was reading this I began to wonder if this was a smart move for Clinton, not only for his own career but for the gay rights movement at large. I am very conflicted, part of me wants to say that he should have waited a little bit and kind of went under the radar to make those kind of changes to avoid the backlash of groups like the SBC. When he made that the start of his campaign, he immediately put the SBC, and other conservatives, on the defense and rialed them up. But the other part of me thinks that it was good for him to come out and publicly support the gay right movement, especially for men and women who sacrifice so much for our country by serving in the military. I wonder if Clinton hadn’t shown such public support for gays in the military, how long would it have been before that issue came to light, and began to be discussed. The article described the “compromise” of Don’t Ask Don’t tell as a “political failure” and I would agree, in a way it was. It didn’t give gays the rights that they deserve, and really did very little to chance the way the military operated. However, I do think that Clinton should be commended for getting the conversation started, and the ball rolling. I wonder if Clinton hadn’t started his presidency tackling this controversial issue, where our military would be today on this issue.