Jesus, He Knows Me

Okay, so we have heard from Joe Jackson, who if we can recall from this past week, successfully subverted gender roles and traditionally-held views of femininity and masculine sexual drive. What a swell guy! However, the time has come (I feel) to bring up yet another timely issue: proselytizing though the news. And this is where MY musical buddies come in. Say hello to my favorite band, Genesis!

Their song “Jesus He Knows Me” actually deals with “spreading the word” through media, most specifically through the means of televangelism. It also points out the [potential] falsity or lack of morals on the part of the televangelist depicted in the song. It’s definitely worth a listen, although to really get the full gist of it, maybe googling the lyrics would be lucrative, too.

“Jesus He Knows Me” (from the 1991 album “I Can’t Dance”)

(Note: The album is “We Can’t Dance.” Sorry people, it’s one in the morning. Don’t ask me why I’m awake.)

If you liked that little snippet, here’s a great little nugget. Hey Bible buffs, this song reminded me of the Prodigal Son the first time I heard it– what do you think???

“No Son of Mine” from the album “We Can’t Dance”

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

One Response to “Jesus, He Knows Me”

1. Mary Beth Mathews says:

Genesis is parodying 1980s televangelists and their scandals, right down to dressing like Jim Bakker and Jimmy Swaggart. We didn’t include them in the curriculum because there was so much going on in the 1970s and 1980s, we would have needed a new course just to cover them.
    Interestingly, Bakker and Swaggart rode to fame on the coattails of people like Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson, but, unlike Falwell and Robertson, never really worked to influence public policy. They stuck to the more traditional mode of revival-style evangelism, which made their respective downfalls, which were so heavily predicated on their personal behavior, all the more absolute. Falwell and Robertson, while making the occasional outrageous public comment, kept their private lives fairly clean and thus were able to continue to speak to, and for, evangelicals.