Hey homeboy, get a clue

Any religion that survives for long periods of time has to be adaptive but still retain enough of itself to continue. Also Religions interact with the day to day lives of their followers so its not surprising that Christianity is intertwined with many facets of our modern day commercially fueled media, even though it may seem cynical to us (and probably a lot of it is to some extant). To many of these people, spreading the word of their god is not only intrinsically a moral imperative but also the only chance for the salvation of many people. Also, getting heard by the masses these days isn’t cheap in terms of time, money, and other recourses,and so I guess I’m ok with people making money off of it, although it does seem pretty hypocritical to take it to such extremes of commercialization. Also, though a lot of Christian music/movies/etc. seems pretty forced and cheesy, I do appreciate the effort and recognize how hard it must be to strike a balance between advocating what you perceive as the unchanging truth of the world and the lifestyles connected to it, and connecting with the younger generations, particularly for older leaders who may have been raised pretty conservatively in the first place.

One Response to “Hey homeboy, get a clue”

1. Arrrbuckles says:

You know, for a brief blog post, this very effectively deals with quite a few themes (and important ones, at that). First of all, as a person of faith, it IS difficult to “strike a balance” between educating people about your beliefs and reasoning without making it overwhelming and seeming like you’re FORCING them to A) listen to you or B) accept your point of view. However, the point of interest here and the thing that really gets me is the idea of making money off of or somehow benefitting monetarily from proselytizing, and whether that has an impact on how “moral” of an endeavor it actually is. Very interesting, indeed…let’s ask the televangelists…