How do you solve a problem like Maria?

sound of music

SOMEONE had to make this reference

Reading The Awful Disclosures of Maria Monk was probably the highlight of my week.  Sex, lies, adventure:  it was all there!

That being said, The Awful Disclosures of Maria Monk was actually very boring to read.  The alleged experiences of Maria weren’t boring (come on, there were sexually-deviant priests and babies being thrown into lime pits), but what seemed to be the intent of the manuscript was nothing new.  The accounts of the monastery were more than just miserable; they were full of every type of corruption one could have imagined in 1836 (or whenever this was written).  Shortly after its publication, it was discredited.  However, whether they were true or not was unlikely to have any impact on the people who purchased the Awful Disclosures because they already suspected that the Catholics were up to no good.

The New Testament gospels contained much of the same type of slander;  mud-flinging is the best way to rally support from your own troops.  The same techniques are employed today.  Earlier this month, my cousin posted to facebook about a “secret bill” President Obama signed into legislation that banned free speech.  In fact, the bill had been passed unanimously through the House and had received only three “nay” votes in the Senate (I might have those two mixed up) before it made it to the President’s desk, which is, ladies and gentlemen, how our government works.  Anyway, the point here is that sensational, anger-invoking, outrageous claims about people are almost always eaten up by those who already believe the worst about them.

In short, The Awful Disclosures of Maria Monk do seem pretty awful, but hardly believable by anyone who doesn’t already despise Catholics.  The lesson to be learned here is that if you’re trying to discredit someone, do so within the limits of reason!

Google Image search results are weird

Google Image search results are weird

2 Responses to “How do you solve a problem like Maria?”

1. Arrrbuckles says:

Kristin… that tie to “The Sound of Music” made my week AGAIN. Keep it up with the movie references! 🙂 First JCS, then the Von Trapps…sigh…

2. bkahn says:

Omg. Kristen. This reference + the picture is flawless. That being said, I should probably stop being so entertained by the musical theatre reference, and actually read your blog post 🙂